WELCOME STUDENTS!

This is a place for us to discuss openly and honestly the literature we are reading. Here we are all just communicating our thoughts on what we are reading. There are no right and wrong answers. However, you are expected to be polite, mature, and on topic.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Understanding Jim


In chapters 11-15, Twain develops Jim's character. Select one event from these chapters and explain how this event helps characterize Jim. Include how you personally relate to Jim. ( This post closes at midnight on June 29th.)

1 comment:

13ruc3 said...

At the end of chapter 15, Jim is tricked by Huck into believing that they had never been separated nor lost earlier that foggy evening. When Jim realizes that Huck is deceiving him for fun, Jim's sentimental nature is revealed. He is emotionally hurt when he learns that Huck lied to him in order to make him seem like a fool. Jim had been genuinely worried about Huck's welfare, but Huck repaid Jim's concern with a cruel joke. As a result, Jim's strong emotional response, reflecting both betrayal and shame, influences Huck to feel guilty for his careless actions, "It made me feel so mean I could almost kissed his foot to get him to take it back" (86).
I can relate to Jim's emotional response because I, like Jim, fully commit myself to whatever I am doing. When Jim thought he had successfully found Huck, Huck made him feel like a fool by tricking him into thinking it was only a dream. This made Jim feel like a real failure. When I experience such failure after fully committing myself, I have the same reaction of shame and embarrassment.

BS-0