WELCOME STUDENTS!

This is a place for us to discuss openly and honestly the literature we are reading. Here we are all just communicating our thoughts on what we are reading. There are no right and wrong answers. However, you are expected to be polite, mature, and on topic.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

A change of view...

This summer you read Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, A Lesson Before Dying, and a novel of your choice.  All books present themes/messages.  Many of these messages change the way we view things or help us see a new perspective on something.  Select one of the three novels and explain how reading this book has changed your view on something.  Cite a passage/quote from the work that really helped to make you see this.  (The deadline to post a response to this blog is midnight, July 31, 2013.  This will be the last summer blog opportunity, so please let others in the class know about this.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The following passage is from A Lesson Before Dying. Grant Wiggins is talking to Jefferson in the jail.
“’ I don’t know when I’m going to die, Jefferson. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, maybe today. That’s why I try to live as well as I can every day and not hurt people. Especially people who love me, people who have done so much for me, people who have sacrificed for me. I don’t want to hurt those people. I want to help those people as much as I can.’
‘You can talk like that; you know you go’n walk out here in a hour. I bet you wouldn’t be talking like that if you knowed you was go’n stay in here.’
‘In here or out of here, Jefferson, what does it benefit you to hurt someone who loves you, who has done so much for you?’
‘I never asked to be born.’
‘Neither did I,’ I said. ‘But here I am. And I’m trying to make the best of it (129)’”.
Jefferson is condemned to a cell and knows he is going to die without ever leaving the jail. In order for Grant to teach Jefferson to die like a man, he must first teach Jefferson to live like a noble man. The message of this passage is this: even though everybody will die, they must live every day to the fullest because life is a delicate, temporary situation and is only worth living if the most is made of it. No person asks to be born, and no person asks to die. Therefore, people should make the best of every day, regardless of their situation. Sometimes, I have a negative outlook on life similar to Jefferson; however, Grant makes some excellent points. By not living right, I will not only hurt my life but also negatively affect those who care about me. Living my life “as well as I can every day” will make my life worthwhile because there is more to life than just the final destination where every person will arrive. This book helped me to change my views on life for the better.
-Hannah S.