WELCOME STUDENTS!

This is a place for us to discuss openly and honestly the literature we are reading. Here we are all just communicating our thoughts on what we are reading. There are no right and wrong answers. However, you are expected to be polite, mature, and on topic.

Friday, February 21, 2014

So we beat on...

Now that we have read the book and watched the recent movie version and the deleted/cut scenes from the movie production, tell us what your favorite scene was in the book and compare/contrast it with the movie version.  Which was more powerful, which was more enticing, which truly captured the essence of the story?   (The deadline to post a response is midnight, February 23, 2014.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My favorite scene is when Gatsby and Daisy first reunite at Nick's house. The movie was pretty accurate compared to the book, but, of coarse because of Fitzgerald's exquisite writing style, makes the book more powerful. I was drawn in more at the beginning of the movie, though. I think Leonardo Decaprio did an excellent job of convey Gatsby's innocence and embarrassment. Seeing all the flowers and exaggeration of everything was very enticing. I liked the end of the scene in the book better because the movie failed to convey Daisy's emotions like the book does. It says that she is crying, but in the movie, this is not so, at least from what I remember. It is hard to say which captures the essence of the story. I think that they both do but from different aspects. In the book it is captured through words much better, but seeing all the intricacies of the movie was magical.

Tiffany Bates said...

My favorite scene was Nick narrating the ending and the last few powerful lines and I think the ending to The Great Gatsby is given more of a boost with the ending provided from the movie. I loved both the movie and novel equally, but I think the movie adds to the ending by giving visual raw emotion instead of simply reading lines from the book. In the book, it is hard to harness the emotions felt at the ending, but the movie's ending gives away audio emotions as well as visual. I think the two are a great pair, but I felt the emotional power stronger from the movie than the novel.