WELCOME STUDENTS!

This is a place for us to discuss openly and honestly the literature we are reading. Here we are all just communicating our thoughts on what we are reading. There are no right and wrong answers. However, you are expected to be polite, mature, and on topic.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

The English Tradition Begins...

We have covered a great deal about the Anglo-Saxons and the historical period in which they ruled and changed England and developed our language. They were an interesting society. What are two things you found to be interesting about the Anglo-Saxons? Explain why. I will begin with a comment. You must not repeat my idea, but respond to it and add your own new element. The next person must respond to your post and add a new element. (The deadline to post a response to this blog is midnight, Tuesday, September 6, 2011).

7 comments:

KPAPENGLISH said...

Of course as an English teacher, I think that that the most important element from the time period is the creation of the English language. Learning that many of the words we use each day, such as "the" "father" and "of," originated during this time fascinates me. The history buff in me also finds the belief in "divine right" of the ruler amazing. Today, we still honor this tradition in many ways. It is a custom over 1600 years old and I believe it will continue to the end of time.

Jordan said...

I also found the idea in "divine right" to be interesting. It is absolutely true that it still exists today but has somewhat evolved into the saying "what goes around comes around". I also found the history of the names of the days of the week very intruiging. I had no idea that they came from the names of ancient gods and goddesses.

Heather H said...

I found their dedication to loyalty to be very interesting and honorable. The loyalty that they lead their lives on could in some ways have a definate positive impact on our society. Also I found it interesting in how flexible our language is. I had no idea how much English has progresses over the centries

KPAPENGLISH said...

Heather, you did not respond to the post prior to yours. You have to do that; please follow the blog directions.

James G said...

I’m not sure what comment to respond to so I will go with Jordan’s since it was the last correct comment. I also found the days of the week interesting, I did not know that we got them from English. Another thing that was interesting was the Old English language itself. I had no idea that it was so different from Modern English. I thought it was simply Modern English with the words “ye” and “thou” scattered throughout.

Aaron Bermond said...

I'm also in agreement with James about the oddness of words in old English. They're so extremely different than our current language that it blows my mind. Another fascinating facet of the Anglo-Saxons is their theories of life and how distorted it is from our current ones. They believed in ferocity and living for fame, whereas we feel as though that is entirely unethical these days.

branden said...

Aaron's point of view is the same as mine because I also find that it is interesting how their beliefs and our modern beliefs have changed. Something that I thought was very sincere of the people is that they kept their loyalty and friendship to one another. This is something I wish to see more of in the world outside of the "gang scene".